Job Title: Personal Assistant for Social Care Direct Payment Recipient
Job ID/ Post ref: Direct Payments PA
Reporting to: The Direct Payment Recipient
The Direct Payment Recipient is the employer. They hold all the employer’s responsibilities associated with this role. Carmarthenshire County Council supports them to fulfil their employer obligations.
Location : Carmarthen Town
Max. Hours per week: 7 hours per week
Salary: £10.00 per hour plus business mileage
To provide the best possible care and support to ensure that the person receiving the direct payment achieves their well-being outcomes as identified in their care plan. To support them to live as independently as possible.
About the Employer:
Support needed for a 28-year-old female with Asperger’s, mental health challenges, fatigue issues, physical health issues and learning differences.
Enjoys English, reading, tv (too much), animals , nature, museums, stand-up comedians a good sense of humour, science, researching, family, friends, politics, environment and being creative.
Preferred to have experience with clients challenges mentioned above but not necessary.
Important that you are a good listener and not patronising.
Having Asperger’s can cause communication issues which can cause upset and sometimes she can be vulnerable to be manipulated due to social differences with people who are not neurodiverse (not autistic or have learning differences). Therefore, it’s important to be mindful of this and people with a different brain (e.g. have ADHD, Autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia, other learning differences) or are a minority, have been bullied or have another challenge that helps them be more understanding of others who are different is preferred for the client
The hours are to be worked flexibly as required and agreed in advance.
This post is funded through the Direct Payments scheme and is intended to enable this family to manage their support independently.
Training can be provided as required and where available.
Must have own transport and a full, clean driving licence.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
1. Provide support to shop for and prepare nutritious meals
2. Providing for the personal care needs of the employer, such as washing and toileting
3. Supporting the employer with encouragement in gaining independence
4. Enabling the employer to interact socially in their community
5. Providing support to the employer whilst attending activities of interest
6. Supporting the employer to develop independent living skills
AM 2119 0621
7. To provide companionship in the employer’s home, including engaging in conversation with the employer and providing them with social interaction
8. Encouraging the employer to attend appointments
9. Ensuring the employer’s safety at all times during your working hours
10. To carry out any other reasonable tasks that are requested by the employer during your working hours
11. To ensure compliance with Data Protection Act.
12. Be mindful of safeguarding issues, and feedback any concerns to Carmarthenshire County Council immediately on (01267 228751)
13. Be responsible for contacting the GP, Social Worker or Local Authority should the employer need medical assistance.
Relationships: Communication / Nature of Contacts:
1. Ability to develop supportive and caring relationship with employer.
2. To undertake all duties in a friendly and helpful manner.
3. Able to contact people on behalf of the employer when necessary.
To make good use of the hours to includes encouragement and supported to take exercise e.g., walking, family visits and cleaning of Flat (specifically kitchen and bathroom). Job Working Environment: Working in employer’s homes and supporting them to access facilities and community activities. Person specification –
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
1. Caring, patient and friendly.
2. Responsible, reliable and honest.
3. Proactive and self-motivated with the ability to work on own initiative.
4. Has good local knowledge of the area where the employer lives.
5. Good time-keeping and flexibility around working patterns and duties as determined by the employer’s requirements.
6. Ability to keep simple records such as time recording.
7. Good communicator able to talk to people on behalf of the employer when required.
8. Able to develop long-term supportive and consistent relationships with employers.
9. A full, clean driving licence and use of a car is likely to be required. This is determined by the needs of the employer and whether you live within walking distance.
10. You must be prepared to have business use on your vehicle insurance to be able to use the vehicle within work hours
11. Be prepared to undergo training in order to best meet the employers need.
Disclosure Barring Service (DBS)
A Disclosure Barring Service Check (DBS) / criminal record check will require to be undertaken for this post. This will be completed on acceptance of job offer