Contract: 37.5 hours, permanent
This post will work as part of Adferiad Recovery’s Young People’s Substance Misuse Service in Powys, providing services to young people who are under 18 years of age (and those aged 16-24 transitioning to adult services), who are experiencing problems with drug and/or alcohol use. You will provide targeted and specialist interventions to support young people at increased risk of using substances and for those identified with a substance misuse problem, with the objective of preventing family breakdown and helping to address and overcome barriers in accessing education, employment, and training.
The team aspire to create equality of access and availability of services for those with severe substance misuse and those with more recreational use; for those for whom abstinence is the goal, as well as those for whom harm reduction approaches are more suitable. The young people’s provision operates separately from the adult’s service which are delivered by our partners at Kaleidoscope, allowing for a specialist provision, for the purposes of safeguarding and in offering specialist services.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• To work with young people with complex needs, of which substance misuse is assessed as a primary contributing factor.
• To refer and signpost individual young people toward other appropriate agencies
• To deliver interventions at various locations in the community which may include the individual’s home
• To provide initial and ongoing assessment with young people
• To provide a wide range of information on substances and their affects to individual users, to include relapse prevention, health, and sexual awareness
• To have thorough knowledge of Child Protection
• To work with the family as a whole
• To support young people using motivational enhancement techniques
• To offer targeted and crisis work through therapeutic interventions and support to young people, promoting health and social care improvements and sustainment of alcohol/drug free status where relevant – whilst responding effectively to risk issues.
• To deliver non-medical/ abstinence-based interventions to service users not in clinical treatment
• To offer ongoing support and harm reduction interventions with service users
• To provide a range of evidence based psychosocial interventions as identified through initial assessment, care plan, and review – including both one to one intervention and group work (i.e. anxiety/stress management, coping strategies, confidence and motivation building, interpersonal and social skills training).
• To contribute to the preparation of reports to Adferiad Recovery/ Kaleidoscope and its partnership projects.
• Youth Work / Social Work / counselling or equivalent (min. NVQ 3)
• Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary and inter-agency team.
• Experience of working with Young People.
• Experience of working with Substance Misuse and related issues.
• Full driver’s licence and full access to a vehicle for work purposes
FOR A FULL JOB DESCRIPTION/ PERSON SPECIFICATION AND TO APPLY: https://www.adferiad.org.uk/vacancies/