More than just words
1 March 2023
Welsh Government wants to strengthen Welsh language services within health, social services and social care. For many Welsh speakers, being able to use their own language is likely to be fundamental to their care.
The benefits of using Welsh at work include:
- removing the risk of isolating individuals
- avoid potential complaints about poor or deficient Welsh language services made to the Welsh Language Commissioner
- achieve equality standards
- assess individual needs by communicating with users of service in their preferred language
- promote the reputation of your organisation by providing a bilingual service.
Provide an ‘Active offer’?
The ‘Active Offer’ means to provide a service in Welsh without having to ask for it. To not actively offer Welsh language services may result in people’s dignity and respect being compromised.
Training resources to help you
Welsh Language learning resources
We all have a part to play in delivering Welsh language services, both Welsh speakers and non-Welsh speakers.